<$BlogRSDUrl$>

...currently reading.....

Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset

...last read.....

Trout, by Ray Bergman
Embed? Win!

Fantastic Contraption

Powered by: MySpace Games >br?



Monday, February 09, 2004

OKIE NOOLDIN'

So. Last night we watched a documentary. It was called Okie Noodling. For those of you in the know..yes...that's right..fishing for giant catfish with your bare hands. AKA grabbling, hand-fishing. Only legal in 4 states. So to hand-fish, you basically go to lakes or creeks, find great big holes in the bank, under fallen trees, etc. Then, you stick your fingers in the hole and wiggle them. If there's a catfish in the hole, he'll clamp down on your fingers, and then you pull him out. I've always heard stories about it, but it was sort of folklorish to me. I've heard many a tale of people getting aholt of a big ole 200 lber and getting drowned.

I liked the movie. They never caught any monsters. They had some big ones though - 50 lbs. or so. What I really liked about the movie is that it would have been really easy to sort of mock all these people. I mean, they were easily mockable. But they didn't. They just presented the story, and that was that. Anyways. I recommend it to fisherman types. Probably not to others..unless it just sounds so weird you can't resist.

-m




Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?