<$BlogRSDUrl$>

...currently reading.....

Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset

...last read.....

Trout, by Ray Bergman
Embed? Win!

Fantastic Contraption

Powered by: MySpace Games >br?



Sunday, July 04, 2004

FARENHEIT, AND STUFF..

Saw Farenheit 9/11. Was it as gripping as Bowling..? No. Was it unbiased? Hell no. Is that the point? Of course not.

I think the focus of the film changed over time, and Moore didn't do a great job of distinguishing between his many theses. Plus, it's complicated. You could certainly do a whole documentary on the shadiness of the Carlyle Group, or on the ways in which we turn a blind eye to anything Saudi Arabia does, simply because they have an assload of oil and money, or any of a dozen other things. So the main problem, as I see it, is that when you set out to make a movie criticizing Bush, you have to pick which particular shady business dealing, leadership failure, mental shortfall, or lies which will be the basis of your critique...cuz there's just too much there for one movie.

Bill O'Reilly, who, by the way, is a shithead, calls the movie 'propaganda.' I guess it's not as 'fair and balanced' as Fox, or as fact-based as the opinions of conservatives like Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, Ann Coulter, or O'Reilly himself, whose opinions are obviously based solidly in fact..Perhaps the conservatives are crying foul because Michael Moore is using some of their tactics - just think of it..a liberal who lets his opinion be known!!!

Bill O'Reilly is a shithead. It is impossible to overstate that fact. If you have any doubt, check this out.

But, Farenheit.. is compelling, because it does show what is happening to people in Iraq, in a non-video-game-like way, which is something TV doesn't understand how to do, or doesn't want to do.

Man..Article about protests in Jackson Hole about the movie...people saying Michael Moore is a "traitor" and that he "supports terrorism." I can't even begin to start to be able to think of how to respond to someone so ignorant. Because 'logic' or 'reason' is obviously not going to fucking work.

So..best part of the movie...perhaps when they showed the clip of Britney Spears talking about how we should just support the President, and believe what he says. Jeezis. THAT is awesome.

In other news, Wheely Willy tours Japan, and Bill Cosby says...well..he says something...damned if I can understand what it is...but I think it's going to piss someone off.

-m




Comments:
Some day this country will realize that Al Franken, Bill O'Reilly, Michael Moore, and Rush Limbaugh are the same person. Honestly.

Then we can move on as a people.

Read this Slate article about F9/11 (http://slate.msn.com/id/2101842) whoops, that was the Hitchens article titled "The Stupidity of Reagan." Here is the MMoore article from Hitchens: http://slate.msn.com/id/2102723

Tinky Winky is my favorite Teletubby. Donovan is singing about smoking bananas...
--gh
 
One more thing: I don't want you to get the impression that I hate Michael Moore, or disagree with him. I thought Roger and Me was funny. I don't think he hates America, but I do know he is way too obsessed with money. Again, we have the problem of the millionaire populist.

He lives in a multi-million dollar Manhattan apartment and sends his kid to private school. He is not a traitor, he is not even a liberal. He is a capitalist. I think everyone should see F9/11 and then form their own opinions. I don't care for the title, but that is the only opinion that I will have until I see the movie. That may be a while because, you know, I live in Maryville and stuff.

I think I read in a review that he did not use the deceptive splicing in this movie like in Bowling for Columbine. I think he is a Republican mole sent out to make liberal intelligentsia blush. Republican Mole, man, that is a song title!

Ann Coulter does look like GWB with long hair...

If you want to see a movie that should inspire this country, go see Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller in Dodge Ball. Now THAT was gripping!
--gh
 
This is what I meant about the movie portraying the fighting in Iraq in a non-video-game fashion. (Isn't it sad that the only decent reporting on current events in the U.S. is the British Broadcasting Corp.?) I think the TV footage of Vietnam opened people's eyes somewhat about the fact that war kinda sucks. I think that message kept us out of wars for awhile (I know, I know, there were some minor ones, but nothing on the Vietnam or Iraq scale). I think if more people realized what the fighting was going to be like in Iraq, they would never have supported the war. Particularly if they had straight information about it to begin with.

Millionaire Populist would be a good band name (perhaps we've already decided that).

I'm a little confused as to how F9/11 was shown on TWO different screens (at least) in Wyoming.

I hate Ben Stiller. I really don't understand why people like him so much. I mean...man..he's the worst..though he was good in Royal Tenenbaums.

The articles I've seen criticizing Farenheit are just as full holes (if not more so) as the movie itself. Where was the criticism or proof that anything Moore said about the FL elections were false? Where is the counterpoint to the stuff about how prominent Republicans (then working with Reagan or Bush the First, now many of them now with Bush the Second) armed or trained the fighters that later became the Taliban, as well as the Iraqi army?

Perhaps it's unfair to suggest Bush is evil in that he continued reading with the elementary class for 9 minutes after the planes hit, but an appropriate response might have been to excuse himself and talk to his advisors..I mean, it's not like they busted in to whisper in his ear, "Hey, the price of pork bellies has just gone through the roof!" I'm not like the smartest guy in the world, but I think I would have recognized that I ought to be doing something.

I hardly think the movie deifies democrats. In fact, it fairly lambasts them for their cowardice re: the Patriot Act, the Florida elections, etc. In that regard, it IS different from those conservative pundits that would have you believe that Right is right and Left is wrong. How often does Rush Limbaugh (or Coulter, or O'Reilly) attack prominent and popular Republicans?

If Moore's movie is biased and flimsy, then critiques of his movie (by O'Reilly, or whoever) are worth exactly this:

Bird shit.

-m
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?