<$BlogRSDUrl$>

...currently reading.....

Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset

...last read.....

Trout, by Ray Bergman
Embed? Win!

Fantastic Contraption

Powered by: MySpace Games >br?



Friday, August 13, 2004

BACK...KINDA..

If someone seems very certain about something, you can be sure that they're a complete idiot.

So I'm sort of done with field work now. May still do a little bit more work up there, but have basically cut it off. I should have approximately 22 sites, with 35-50 tree cores at each site. So...let's see..22 sites x 35 cores per site x ~50 (rough average age) tree rings per core..I should end up counting about 38,500 tree rings. Jeezis.

So..this is kinda funny. You need sound. And Quicktime. And a good internet connection. Will Ferrell does a great George Bush. Almost as good as Rollins' impersonation. The best part (I think) is the continuous fun-poking at Bush, the make-believe rancher ("I'll go with the giant shovel, and the little..little tiny thing.") Credit to Kabiebayo (others may know him as the other surviving member of Fairly Crass - no blog of his own (yet!) but a contributor to Staircasewit, as am I) for pointing this out.

What kind of stupid key is the 'Insert' key? I mean, how often do you want to go back to the middle of something you've typed and just start typing right over the top of it, like some kind of dumb old typewriter? Seriously, what's wrong with the backspace key?

Another thing I don't get about keyboards, is what's up with those people that always turn off the Num Lock? It's not like there isn't a whole other set of each of those keys somewhere else. Do you really need 2 places where you can hit an up arrow key, or, even worse, the Insert key?

I was thinking the other day about how I ought to explain (for the broader (and narrower) readership) who the blogs to the left belong to. Then Bennet went and did it, so now I look like a copycat...but I'ma do it anyway.

But first, a brief treatise on the proper usage of the contraction "I'ma.." I've seen this misused ALOT. It's a contraction that has been popular forever, probably, but which was formalized by StrongBad. First off, I'ma is a contraction of 3 words: I, am, and gonna. Henceforth, it is redundant to say "I'ma gonna go get some rutabagas" - instead, try "I'ma go get some rutabagas." If you say it the first way, you're basically saying "I'm gonna gonna go get some rutabagas," and that's dumb. It's like those people that say "GIS system." Well, maybe that's not an issue now, since some have decided that it is Geographic Information Science, instead of Systems.

Anyway, on to the introductions:


Staircase Wit is a multi-authored page, established by Blacklinefish, contributed to by him, myself, Rawkstah, and Kabiebayo
Rawkstah is my friend, Bennet, who once dropped a giant rock down an outhouse and hence splattered Jeremy Bishop with a poo shower. He's a screenwriter, playwrite (playwright, playright, playrite?), songwriter, and waitperson.
Blacklinefish is my undergraduate advisor and friend. He once told me that a boy becomes a man when he builds his first set of sawhorses. I guess I'm still a boy.
Abbie the Girl, is Abbie, Bonnie, Abbzug..she's one of my best pals in the world, a real person, and she cooks meat well.
Abbie The Cat is not actually my friend, but is a cat. And he has his own blog. And it makes me laugh.
Rockandporkandbeanscan is my friend Mike, from undergraduate days. I think he has forgotten about his blog. Again.
Brooke K(aye) is a friend from my days in North Dakota. We (with our other friend, Andrea) once rode our bikes around the entire loop road that goes through Theodore Roosevelt NP. Her blog features more content than most.
Jeremywhite is another friend from undergraduate days. He invented 'The People's Knuckle,' and other great wrestling moves. I think he has also forgotten about his blog.
Blacklinefish's Dog is..well..Blackline Fish's dog, Terra.

Man. This blog has been seriously lacking in content of late. Actually, it's never been very substantial in that arena. I haven't posted anything much this summer, since I've been out alot. Also, I don't feel like I really can say much, since allowing folks into the inner workings of my brain (which is sort of like a big Rube Goldberg-type contraption) would annoy some, hurt others, offend most, and bore all. Therefore, back to the stupid links and fart jokes:

Q: Why did God make farts smell?
A: So deaf people could enjoy them, too.

Stick with what got me here.

Staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar Pilot!

-m




Comments:
I was 29 when I got to build my own first sawhorses. (I built them on job sites, starting at age 19, though, but that was for other people.) Those 'horses are up in my son's room, I'ma finish his room up soon enough.

--gh
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?