<$BlogRSDUrl$>

...currently reading.....

Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset

...last read.....

Trout, by Ray Bergman
Embed? Win!

Fantastic Contraption

Powered by: MySpace Games >br?



Saturday, September 25, 2004

AND TO TOP IT OFF...

Boy. Stuff has kind of been sucking lately. I won't go into it all. A little bit of everything. The cold I have isn't too bad. Just a sore throat, excessive slobber and snot, and a groggy head. Today I found out that my old Boy Scout leader died. He was like a thousand years old when I first started Boy Scouts. Well, maybe not that old. But he was like 80, for real. He did stuff with the Boy Scouts from like 1940 up until the time he died, pretty much. He went camping with us and slept in a tent when he was in his 80's. He was 92 when he died the other day. I learned more from that guy than from any other person I've ever known. I'm sure there are about a thousand other Boy Scouts from my troop, over the 60+ years he was involved in it, that would say the same thing. I never would have been in Boy Scouts to begin with if it wasn't for his insistence, and I wouldn't know half of what I know (all the really important stuff) today if I hadn't been in Boy Scouts. I suppose he couldn't live forever, but it's too bad, because that guy was the most unselfish, caring, and giving person I've ever known. I stopped to visit with him occasionally after I finished Boy Scouts, and went off to college, but not as often as I should have.

Here's to you, Rank. We'll miss you.

-m





Comments:
I'll be going to Rank's funeral. And, I feel the same way. Should have visited him more. Did you know he had a son? Cuz I sure as hell didn't.
 
It's a bad year for Boy Scout leaders - my old troop leader died earlier this summer. Although he wasn't 90-something, most of the same things you said would apply to him too. So here's to Stan, and to Rank.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?