<$BlogRSDUrl$>

...currently reading.....

Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset

...last read.....

Trout, by Ray Bergman
Embed? Win!

Fantastic Contraption

Powered by: MySpace Games >br?



Monday, September 27, 2004

I'M GETTING SCARED...

or

RADICAL FUNDAMENTALIST CHRISTIAN EXTREMISTS DECLARE JIHAD!


Um. When I heard this story on NPR this morning, I thought I must still be partially asleep and that my brain had just made part of it up.

Key Quote: "This war is not about Iraqis and Americans, [or] oil. This is a spiritual war, and the people who don't understand that...they need to just dig into their bible and read about it. It's predicted, it's predestined."

I especially like the part where this guy goes on to explain how Bush is the best person to lead us in this "spiritual" war, since he is a "devouted [sic] Christian."

And there's the news from America, folks. Oh, what? You missed the part where Christianity (Good) became our national religion, and where we decided, as a democratic nation, to launch a crusade against Islam (Evil)? It's all in the Bible. The Gospel According to Dubya. Not familiar with that part?

I wonder how prevalent this viewpoint is - that this is a spiritual war, of good vs. evil..? I mean, to be fair, I know plenty of Christians who are rational, intelligent, decent people. Depending on your definition of 'Christian,' I might consider myself one. And I can't think of anyone I know that would go along with this. But I'm starting to get a little worried about all this religious fervor America seems to be in since we got this born-again, shit-fer-brains president (I won't even give him the dignity of capitalizing 'President').

And don't even bring up 'The War on TerrorismĀ©,' because I think it's been well-established that Iraq has nothing to do with that.

OK...Perhaps we should re-evaluate our feelings as a nation about which religion is the one tending toward creepy, self-righteous fundamentalism. Because you know what..? It ain't just Islam, people.

Adapting Edward Abbey: When I hear the word religion, I reach for my flak jacket.

Seriously, Christians, you're starting to creep the hell out of me.

-m




Comments:
In that same quote vein,
"When I hear the word "democracy," I reach for my headphones. . . When I hear the word "security," I reach for my shotgun." -- Robyn Hitchcock, "The President"
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?