<$BlogRSDUrl$>

...currently reading.....

Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset

...last read.....

Trout, by Ray Bergman
Embed? Win!

Fantastic Contraption

Powered by: MySpace Games >br?



Monday, October 04, 2004

PERTEND EMAILS..

Man, I should write a book about the orgins and histories of all these stupid forwarded emails I always get (almost without fail, from people over 40 years old - I think all your anti-gullibility mechanisms start to fail at age 40). Seriously, if you get forwarded an email that makes you angry, or sad, or inspired, check out Snopes before you forward it on to me. Because the ratio of fake forwards to true forwards is probably something like 36:1. In fact, I think it's important enough that I'ma add a link to Snopes on my sidebar.

Briefly, for the record, nobody is putting AIDS-infected syringes on gas pumps, camel spiders CANNOT run as fast as tanks, nor are they dangerous to humans, and senators DO NOT receive their salaries annually from retirement to death, and they DO pay into social security.

I think I'ma have to recontinue my hobby of composing blatantly fake emails and sending them out so that I can have the sweet reward of chastising the person who is unfortunate enough to forward it back to me someday.

I think there should be such a thing as an Email License, just like we have driver's licenses. Let's face it, 99% of all viruses could prevented by requiring a baseline set of knowledge for email and internet users. Most computer viruses are voluntary (in the same way that Dr. Frucht at NWMSU referred to AIDS as a 'voluntary disease') - you only get them if you're stupid enough to open an attachment without verifying its content.

While we're at it, we could issue Reproduction Licenses, because, let's face it, most of humanity are not qualified to be parents.

-m




Comments:
You've just inspired the next assignment for the Staircase crowd.
--gh
 
Snopes is perhaps my favorite website out there - perfect for trying to put a stop to e-mail forward nonsense. Although camel spiders can't hurt you, they DO look pure evil, and they are about the fastest damned thing on however-many-legs-they-have. They look and run kinda like a drunken scorpion on speed, and what's more, they come out at night and seem to be attracted to light - when we were in Ghana, we'd be sitting out on the porch reading by candle or lantern light, and the little buggers would race erratically at us and scare the bejeezus out of us. Saanawa (our cat) actually managed to catch and eat one.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?