<$BlogRSDUrl$>

...currently reading.....

Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset

...last read.....

Trout, by Ray Bergman
Embed? Win!

Fantastic Contraption

Powered by: MySpace Games >br?



Thursday, November 04, 2004

LIFE.

Man. I'm starting to get frustrated with the advisement I'm getting on my thesis. I put each section (Intro, Study Area Description, etc.) into separate documents so I could more easily send them to my advisor to look over as I completed them. I have a main document, but thought this would be the easiest way, so he wasn't wading through a whole huge document every time I wanted him to take a look at a new section I'd written. And, to keep my sources straight, I was just pasting them from Biblio-Express (which you need to get if you regularly cite the same papers) into the bottom of each section. After emailing these documents to my advisor, I received a response with a few kinda lame comments, one of which was something like "your bibliography should go at the end of the thesis, not at the end of each section." No fucking duh!! Gee, thanks. This is typical of the response I get. Kindergarten! I send something about a major problem - something that is preventing me from going any farther, and I get something stupid back, like "you misspelled 'vasyana,'" or something. It's not as though he doesn't want to be helpful, it's just that he's not.

I would be in so much better shape right now if we'd never gotten funding for this project. I'd be done, probably. I'll be lucky to finish by April, now.

Quick: Better version of Istanbul, Not Constantinople: They Might Be Giants, or Joe "Fingers" Carr?

-m




Comments:
TMBG version is crisp and clean. superior.

We will be using an electronic "classroom" to handle the thesis passing, since we don't want this stuff to fill up our email. This way, the entire thesis could be sent and retrieved without email. And a common comment system is in place.

I should find out where eCollege is in Denver, and try to visit the room where the servers are. I mean, our whole program is just sitting there in some computer in Denver. It's kind of creepy, really.

I am advising my first graduate student. I am trying not to write asshat things like "you mispelled ____". Our laptop computers convert to tablet PCs by switching the screen around and folding it flat. So, my comments are actually in my handwriting, with highlight-ing as well.

When I first unveiled this technology to my geostatistics class in April, not one student (out of 17 I think) wrote back and said "cool commenting." Somehow, I wanted one person at least to have noticed. Writing bland comments in a text box in an electronic gradebook is much different than a full electronic mark-up with inking capabilities.

This thing can recognize my handwriting, even longhand, and I never trained it. Simply amazing.
--gh
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?