<$BlogRSDUrl$>

...currently reading.....

Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset

...last read.....

Trout, by Ray Bergman
Embed? Win!

Fantastic Contraption

Powered by: MySpace Games >br?



Wednesday, November 03, 2004

SIGH

I believe the American people have spoken loudly and clearly. And I believe they have said, "DUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHH...."

I think that my friends and I came to one conclusion last night. And that was, that one man was responsible for messing up this election.
Ralph Nader? Nope. John Kerry himself? No. George Bush? Huh uh.

It was Abraham Lincoln. That's right, I'm looking at you, Abe. In the winter of 1861, when The South decided to secede, why, oh why, did you not just let them go? I mean, let’s face it, it’s pretty embarrassing to even be linked indirectly by our government to those people. It's not as if they provide any vital resources or industries or brainpower to our country. We don't really need them. We should have let them go – what a continuous source of humor they would have been to us as this ass-backward little country occupying about the most economically-useless portion of our country. And we could have sloughed off lots of other undesirables, too, since they would have gravitated that way. Slavery would have fallen, anyway, with nobody but those lazy southern white folk to perpetuate it. As President (running in 2012), I will encourage The South to rise again, and to secede (won’t that be a funny joke!?) Not that we would be enemies or anything. I would work hard to forge a partnership between myself and President Jeff Gordon.

I was a little uncomfortable about the African American man they kept interviewing on ABC last night that kept talking about how the black and 'brown' folk were going to vote. The 'brown folk?!?' And then Peter Jennings made some comment about how the Kerry people were hoping for a big minority turnout in Ohio, but that it was hard to tell what would happen, since it had been raining all day there.

My friend, Rick: “What are you trying to say, that ‘brown folk’ are scared of the rain?”

I know a lot of people that talked about moving to another country if Bush won another term. Heck with that, I've decided. It’s my country, and I’ll be damned if I’m going to run away.

I haven’t seen any numbers on how the libertarians did in Wyoming this time around. I find no small amount of humor in the fact that so many of these anti-government Wyomingites basically survive on government subsidies - by grazing their cattle and extracting resources on federal land, etc. Wyoming must be the biggest state recipient of ‘welfare’ in the whole country.

Too much Mexican food last night....just going to sleep the rest of the day.

-m




Comments:
You got it all wrong. Lincoln inherited this situation. It was that asshat James Buchanon that let the states secede. He already knew his presidency was over and he just let it happen. For this reason, he is the worst American president in history.

Lincoln did well to preserve the union, and you are hearing this from a southerner. (I had High School teachers call this era the "War between the States".)

Many wanted to punish the south for generations (as if they did not have it hard enough). It took a man with a lot of guts, USGrant to not fold in to that temptation. He believed in the better part of humanity and made reconstruction at least a tolerable event.

(The southern states were demoralized by having their legislatures appointed, their constitutions re-written, and their economy brought to the brink of disaster.)

Don't knock the south until you've experienced it first hand. I know one of the stars on the Confederate Flag is Missouri's, but that was because of a rogue legislature in Neosho and the compliance of the confederacy.

According to Zelinsky, you gotta go pretty far south in MO to be anywhere near the "South."

I like each and every state in this union. But of course, the BEST of all is Indiana. Man, that is one righteous state. I just love it there! The worst state in the union is Alaska. Sorry.
--gh
 
Nah. You misread. I don't want to punish the south. I just think that when they said, "OK, we quit," we should have said, "OK, lots of luck to ya." I live in Wyoming now, which is almost as bad as The South, in terms of intolerance, lazy greed, and shortsigtedness.

I think I would include Indiana with The South and just get rid of them. Their intolerance level is similar. I've never had a decent experience there, either.

Alaska is OK, as a state, it's just the residents that mostly suck (see also Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado).

-m
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?