<$BlogRSDUrl$>

...currently reading.....

Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset

...last read.....

Trout, by Ray Bergman
Embed? Win!

Fantastic Contraption

Powered by: MySpace Games >br?



Thursday, February 24, 2005

WERK

Yesterday I was sitting here working, minding my own business, when the phone rang. It was such-and-such, from such-and-such consulting firm, calling regarding the application I had sent for a position with such-and-such. Without any real discourse, this dude more or less launched into a phone interview. I guess it went OK, but I wasn't really prepared, especially since it took me awhile to even remember what the job was/what the company did. At the end, he said he would have another guy call me. Today. Between 8 and 9. Which means between 7 and 8 my time. So I went to bed early last night, but couldn't sleep, and ended up roaming around the house looking for snacks until about 2:30 (didn't find any), then finally went to bed and got to sleep somewhere around 3, got up at 6:30, and now I'm sitting here waiting for some dude to call, so he can ask me all the same stupid questions.

The job is with an ecological consulting company sort of thing. They do restoration planning, open space planning, wetland surveys, etc. - they even have a few native plant nurseries, here and there. So the job is for a GIS'er/ecologist...kind of a perfect match for my experience, and much more appealing than parcel mapping (yech).

So now for the downside...It's in Kansas City. There are few places I dislike more than Kansas City (Lincoln, NE, Denver, CO, and St. Joseph, MO being some of those). If you threw a dart at the map of the world, assuming it didn't hit water (or maybe even if it did), it's almost certain I'd rather live there than in KC. Plus, the place appears to be right downtown. Which would mean an awful commute, or living in an itty house smashed in amongst tons of other people who hate being cramped in amongst tons of other people in itty houses. I'm getting claustrophobic just thinking about it...

SO...I don't give 2 rips if I get offered the job. Maybe if I could work from home...

UPDATE...
It's now 8:05 and that dork-on still hasn't called. I'ma take my shower, and start working. If they want to make me into a slave to the man, it's going to take years of imprisoning me in a tiny cubicle for hours on end; I'm not giving up this easily...

-m




Comments:
What is wrong with LIncoln? Too much Huskers?
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?