<$BlogRSDUrl$>

...currently reading.....

Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset

...last read.....

Trout, by Ray Bergman
Embed? Win!

Fantastic Contraption

Powered by: MySpace Games >br?



Friday, February 11, 2005

WIXKAHNSIN

So, by way of explanation for my sullen entry dated 8 February 2005, the following:

1) I was in the middle of an annoying cold, which I'm just now starting to get over.

2) I had just found out that my great aunt was about to die (she actually died yesterday - the funeral is Monday). I know most people aren't familiar with their great aunts or uncles, but this one lived in the same small town as my grandparents, so we saw her often, and she had the same birthday as me. Poor ol' Macky. I'll miss her.

3) I had also just found out that I was not among the 2 finalists for the research assistantships at Wisconsin. Actually, nobody has been offered the position yet - the top 2 people have to visit, make the grade, and accept the positions first - but I have no way of knowing whether I'm #3 or #10, but I'm sure as shittin' not going to wait around for another couple of weeks to see if I can squeak in as an alternate. That's horseshit, as far as I'm concerned.

4) The combination of 1-3 has made it doggone hard to make much progress on my thesis work. Basically, I have about a month to wrap up my analysis, write this up (likely over 50 pages of text, but will have to be whittled down to closer to 25 to be ready for publication), prepare and give my presentation, and defend. I can't seem to make it through an entire day without taking at least one nap, I am ready to go to bed by 10 o'clock, and I've pretty much sat around mopey and on the verge of tears for the last 4-5 days.

So that's that, and that sucks.

The Salmon of Doubt, though, is great. I'm into the novel portion...some great stuff there. I had almost forgotten one of my favorite lines of all time, which appears somewhere early in the Dirk Gently series: "I believe in the fundamental interconnectedness of all things." I forgot what a great character Dirk is. I'ma hafta go back and read the first 2 books. I think I would appreciate them more fully now.

-m




Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?