<$BlogRSDUrl$>

...currently reading.....

Kristin Lavransdatter, by Sigrid Undset

...last read.....

Trout, by Ray Bergman
Embed? Win!

Fantastic Contraption

Powered by: MySpace Games >br?



Friday, October 21, 2005

SALARY

I wonder what the history of the salary system is.. I wonder if it was initially designed as a way to exploit workers for more hours than standard without having to pay overtime, or if has just evolved to be that...

I think there should be requirements about how people advertise salaries. Here's what I think: I think that if the hours required of someone will be more like 50 or 60 hours a week, the advertised salary should be modified to reflect that. For example, if the salary they are going to pay is 40,000, but you will be expected to work 55 hours per week (not at all uncommon for professional positions, it seems), then the salary they advertise should be adjusted using a ratio of the expected hours to the "standard" 40 hours, so the salary they advertise would have to be $29,090. I think that would be a more realistic picture. I'd rather work 40 hours per week for 35,000 than 55 hours for 40,000, wouldn't you?

-m




Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?